Tuesday, August 5, 2014

My House – by Ingrid Phoenix Doerksen (C)

November 9, 2013 at 11:30am
My House ~

It has a small kitchen downstairs – with a small stove –and when you cook you should really leave the cupboard doors open or you stink up the place. The stove is a built-in type.

My house has many long hallways, leading into many rooms – all with so much closet space!
I only walk thru – while I cook/steam some vegetable – and brew some coffee.

I go upstairs and discover the main kitchen – oh my – so much space –all the walls are white.
Walls and walls of drawers and built-in platforms with collapsible appliances.
On the side are wide long drawers and I open the one on the bottom, to see that the previous owner left behind her silver. I must get that to her.

The entire wall on one side is cabinets – I can’t count how many – and as I open them I see the woman who used to live her used all that space – she even papered the cupboards.
She must have packed hastily at the end – or the movers did not open every cupboard door.

I will sort through it – some is trash, but one is this big blue velvet covered case,
At least 3 ft wide and 2 ft tall – and you open it and it is doubled in size and it has mementos tucked into compartment – all of a different size.
Some of the items I recognize, they are my mother’s and my sisters’ hand writings, postcards sent years ago, and tiny pot holders crocheted by my mom, I presume – they are in a patters I recognize as hers. – other knickknacks I only glance at before closing the case.

The neighbors are coming over, one is Kim who used to live next door to us (when we still lived in the other house)
Kim has friends over and someone wants coffee – so I offer to make a pot.
She comes along with me and is excited when I show her my house.

I see a magazine in one of the many shelves and it talks about a house being called The Castle. And that it has been used in the movies.
My house is big enough to be one, but I don’t think they are writing about my house, it is too modern looking – so I look outside, and up the street – much higher up on the top of the mountain I see 2 houses that could qualify being called The Castle. One is rusty brown or burgundy colored with light trim, and it has turrets and 2 or 3 small towers, to.
The other is an ocher colored older villa type house. Maybe its that one?

I turn away from that and follow Kim who opens a double door.
We see a round circle in the room before us – actually the room sits below us – so it has extra high ceilings. There is a railing to prevent us from falling and we rest on it and lean over and admire the tile work in the room,a large oval design – and looking around we decide this could be an indoor poolroom. One of her friends has joined us and we contemplate what sort of pool I’d get and put there – indoor swimming pool. We settle on a dough-boy.

Kim’s friend is having coffee and eating a big piece of a vegetable I had cooking on the stove earlier. I never said he could have it –but it is over-cooked and looks like a very limp head of lettuce. He seems to like it – oh well.

I am very excited to have this house and want to spread out,but not fill ever nook and cranny – especially once I open the door in the ceiling, leading to the attic. I see old and dusty items, boxes – stuff that seems to have been here forever, and having belonged to more than one owner. I decide then that I won’t be adding to the small pile – maybe sort though it some day. I close the door.

As I walk downstairs again, feeling very content about my life and what lies before me, I decide that the upstairs part (on the 2ndfloor) will be the main living area ~~
I smile.”


Then I woke up.

(This is by far the most vivid dream I have ever remembered. Usually dreams fade quickly - this one did not. So I wrote it down. Nice house....and it did look like the picture I chose to put with this note )

No comments:

Post a Comment